Saturday, March 28, 2009

Friends

I have several friends in my ward. I like them all. We all have kids about the same age.

Half of us live in a more up-scale neighborhood, the half live in a not-so-up-scale neighborhood. I'm in the latter. I don't live int he ghetto, by any means, but my home is about 50 years older than theirs.

About 4 of them (who all live in the nicer neighborhood) do a joy school. I was actually invited to participate in it, but decided to do a traditional preschool instead. I regret that decision for a few reasons, one of which I will address.


They all have become exceptionally close. Which is fine, it really is. But on more than one occasion, I've called to get together with one or another of them. They say, "Actually, we're already going to insert place, want to come?" I say sure. Then I get there 30 minutes late because that's when I was originally planning on getting there, and I find all the women there with their children.

This has happened on more than one occasion. It's just become apparent to me that they have regular get togethers outside of joy school. (One of the women who's been there isn't even part of the school, but lives on the same street as all of them.) I understand that they are all close. Two of them teach a primary class together, another teaches another class, and the last is the secretary. So they see each other all the time. But I'm pretty close with 2 of them. I just wish I got invited to their things. Maybe they're just trying to keep their numbers small. Or they discuss it throughout the week and simply don't think of me.

I just wish they would. My kids are the same ages as theirs. I'm the same age as the moms. We all have similar backgrounds and educational levels........I just regret not doing the joy school with them and entrenching myself in the group. I'm as stylish and funny as they are (at least I like to think so!), so what's the deal?!

Gosh. It sounds like I'm talking about the popular kids in high school. And they are most definately not like that. They are all so sweet and fun. Never snooty or condescending. We've had dinner invites, and I watch their kids every now and then. We are friends. I just want to be part of the informal playdates they do.


*************************

Thanks for the comments. Yes, you know me, but I'm not going to reveal my true identity. If any of you want to be an anonymous contributor here, send me an e-mail. It's things that keep me up at night AT gmail DOT com. (all one word, of course.) I'd honestly love to have a group blog. And I promise to keep your identity a secret, if that's what you want.

3 comments:

tammy said...

That's hard. Could you mention it to one of the ones your closer to that you want to hang out with all of them more? Or when you're all together sometime, offer to have them all over to your house the next week (or if you don't want them over, going somewhere together). They might not even realize they're excluding you.

Vanessa said...

I hate that this goes on. It goes on in my neck of the woods too. I think that it won't hurt my feelings, but ulitmately it does.

I was sort of hurt when a group in my neighborhood did a preschool and didn't invite me to join. Why should I care beause I had my son already enrolled in a preschool? It just would have been nice to be asked.

chelle said...

I was in a simpler situation. IT WAS SO hard. I was always feeling left out and I finally gave up and stopped going.

BUT that was the wrong answer in hind sight. I wish I had tried harder and worked things out. Good luck. You are not your house. Or your car. You are a child of God and are of great worth. m